How Zone Files Are Read

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Wed Dec 16 18:25:38 UTC 2020

On 16-Dec-20 11:37, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I ran into a situation yesterday which got me pondering something about bind.
>
> In this case, a single line in a zone file was bad.  The devops automation
> had inserted a space in the hostname field of a PTR record.
>
> What was interesting was that - at startup - bind absolutely refused
> to load the zone file at all.  I would have expected it to complain
> about the bad record and ignore it, but load the rest of the
> good records.
>
> Can someone please explain the rationale or logic for this?  Not complaining,
> just trying to understand for future reference.
>
> TIA,
> Tim

DNS is complicated.  The scope of an error in a zonefile is hard to
determine.

To avoid this, your automation should use named-checkzone before
releasing a zone file.

This will perform all the checks that named will when it is loaded.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.