Quick dynamic DNS?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Dec 24 04:23:52 UTC 2020

On 12/23/20 6:53 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
> Give that I have a authoritative bind9 server for example.com and
> given that I have a home connection that is (technically) dynamic
> home.example.com what is the easiest way for me to automatically
> update the DNS on the rare occasions that it changes?

I assume:

1)  That example.com is a stand in for the real domain name(s)
2)  Your bind9 server is somewhere on the Internet
3)  You are asking how to dynamically update it to change where
home.example.com resolves to.

> The example.com domain is setup with DNSSEC and the home connection
> has a rPI already acting as an unbound/piHole server, if that helps.

Are you wanting to do some sort of zone transfer from the rPI to BIND?

Is home.example.com public or private?  Can the world query it?

> I used to use a dynamic DNS service, but I figure I have the tools
> available to do this all myself. What am I doing right now is just
> manually changing the IP.

ACK

I'm going to further assume:

4)  That you have home.example.com delegated to the rPI at your house.
5)  That you want to dynamically update this delegation.

You can use BIND's support for Dynamic DNS across the Internet.  (I
can't speak to the security of such.)  I assume that you will be using
something like TSIG keys or Kerberos to authenticate your Dynamic DNS
updates.  (Possibly even a VPN or the likes.)

Or you can use nsupdate on the system hosting your public BIND DNS server.

Please clarify where the Dynamic DNS client will be in comparison to the
BIND DNS server.  Then we can get into the minutia of how to go about
things.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die