AW: Unable to completely transfer root zone

von Dein, Thomas Thomas.vonDein at f-i-ts.de
Tue Feb 11 07:20:27 UTC 2020

Hi Warren,

> This sounds very much like a path MTU issue -- it starts the transfer,
> gets part of the way and then a big packet doesn't make it through...
> Are you doing the test dig from the same machine? And if so, from the same IP?

Yes, I test from the same system using the same source address.

> Also, can you try:
> dig +tcp . axfr @192.0.32.132
> dig +tcp . axfr @192.0.47.132
> dig +tcp . axfr @b.root-servers.net

This works, I get the whole root zone that way, no problems whatsoever.

Also, the nameserver today stopped responding to any queries because of this, I had to install a master copy of the root zone manually to get it working again.

@alcol: the zone file is writable for the bind user, the setup hasn't changed for a couple of years more or less. The zone transfer worked until 2020/02/04 as expected.

Tom