bind as "reverse-proxy"

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Feb 26 14:50:28 UTC 2020

On 26.02.20 15:28, Erich Eckner wrote:
>is it possible to set up a zone in bind similar to a http(s) reverse
>proxy:

No. DNS is very far from proxying.

>1. The server appears authoritative to clients (the consulted server
>is indeed authoritative).
>
>2. Each request is passed on to the other server (or served from
>cache), but the information is *not* obtained by zone transfers
>(because the other server does not have/allow this).

For records that are managed locally, BIND is authoritative.
For records that are stored elsewhere, BIND is NOT authoritative.

So, either you have authoritative server, or you have not.

What is the point of your request?
"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]