Edit cache eviction policy

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Jan 3 16:18:35 UTC 2020

Itay Alayoff <itayala at post.bgu.ac.il> wrote:

> There is something I can't figure out, What the Red Black Tree DB is used
> for and what the ADB  is used for? Is there a relationship between the two?

The rbtdb holds authoritative zone files and the resolver cache.
The adb is used for dynamic information about other servers.

Try putting some traffic through a resolver, run `rndc dumpdb` and look at
the cache dump. The adb dump is towards the end of the file, which will
give you some idea of what it is used for. Have a look at the files in
doc/design and doc/dev which give an overview of various aspects of the
code. The comments in lib/dns/include/dns/*.h are often helpful too.

Tony.
Southeast Fitzroy: Northerly or northwesterly veering northeasterly, 3 to 5.
Very rough at first in north, otherwise rough. Showers. Moderate or good.