Slow recursive query performance on Windows x64

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jan 20 06:44:42 UTC 2020

Devices should return ICMP unreachables when networks are not reachable.  This
allows applications to move onto the next address.  Not returning unreachables
results in timeouts being the mechanism to move to the next address.

Additionally applications can make parallel connection attempts.  This works
particularly well for TCP and is what Happy Eyeballs does with a slight delay
(sub second) between each different address. Once a TCP connection succeeds
the other connection attempts are aborted.  Too many developers have coped
out on providing fast multi-homing support.  It usually only takes small
while to convert a application from serial connection attempts to parallel
connection attempts to the addresses returned from getaddrinfo().  What’s
more work is adding MIF (multiple interface) support which allows you to
try different source addresses as well.

Mark