Problem resolving domain

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw.ml at ithnet.com
Mon Jan 27 15:26:49 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I ran across a question I did not really expect. I am using bind 9.14.1 as
normal, standalone nameserver. When trying to resolve a certain domain I get a
SERVFAIL (with nslookup). Deeper inspection of the problem shows that the
domain uses 2 nameservers, where one works perfectly well, the other does not
know the domain at all.
I would have expected that bind finds the domain by using the working
nameserver and ignoring the dead one. But obviously it does not.
Did I misconfigure something? I thought both nameservers should be questioned
and the first working result be used, or not?

--
MfG,
Stephan von Krawczynski

ith Kommunikationstechnik GmbH

Lieferanschrift  : Reiterstrasse 24, D-94447 Plattling
Telefon          : +49 9931 9188 0
Fax              : +49 9931 9188 44
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Stephan von Krawczynski
Registergericht  : Deggendorf HRB 1625