Debian/Ubuntu: Why was the service renamed from bind9 to named?

tale d.lawrence at salesforce.com
Mon Jul 20 16:09:30 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 7:06 AM @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2020, at 11:56, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> > In fact, the ONLY reason that the name "bind9" was ever even coined
> > at all was because the changes from bind8 both in the syntax of the
> > config file and how the program operated they wanted to boot admins
> > in the behind to get them to change their config files.
>
> This. Exactly this.

Well, one minor bit of clarification is important.  While highlighting
the significant change in software might have been the motivation for
why some installers chose to go with the name bind9 in place of named
in some contexts, it was also a major design goal of BIND9 that it
could run as a drop-in replacement for BIND8 on most configurations.
It achieved this goal.  The basic syntax was unchanged and
configuration behavior was largely the same but for a little bit
around the edges.

And for what it's worth, not all systems moved away from "named" to
"bind9".  I've been running FreeBSD for decades, and I can't remember
ever calling the service "bind9".