Debian/Ubuntu: Why was the service renamed from bind9 to named?

Michael De Roover isc at nixmagic.com
Thu Jul 23 04:59:31 UTC 2020

On 7/23/20 6:28 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Linux is 10 times worse because they aren't even including the c
> compiler or development tools
> anymore.
Every distribution I've laid my hands on so far has GCC packages and
most development packages affixed with either -dev or -devel (most of
the time).
> But many "systemadmins" out there think they are Unix admins
> yet are afraid to compile programs.  They will go to the FreeBSD port or
> the Linux precompiled apt-get stuff.  The reason is more and more
> non-technical people are getting their hands on this stuff.

I don't disagree with this but I also think there's more to it than
that. For me personally I avoid compiling from source when I can get
away with it - not because I can't run make - but simply because binary
packages are convenient. Having a package manager take care of updates
in the whole system is convenient. Having distribution maintainers that
say "okay we are going to go stable, bleeding edge or whatever with the
whole project" is useful when they can spend the time looking at the
upstream projects, and choose the most fitting software versions and
such to suit that goal. And when there's billions of machines running
very similar architectures, there is an argument to be made that making
every single one of them compile everything from source is rather
pointless. Why should every machine in existence be tasked with
CPU-intensive compilation workloads when a handful of dedicated
compilation servers can do exactly that, and a million times better?

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Michael De Roover