Debian/Ubuntu: Why was the service renamed from bind9 to named?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Jul 23 18:22:50 UTC 2020

On 7/23/2020 7:44 AM, charlie derr wrote:

> While it would still *technically* be security by obscurity, it would
> seem to me that there's some value to this approach because access to
> the compiled binary wouldn't necessarily be easy to obtain (especially
> if the sysadmin provisioning the system takes extra efforts to *not*
> share it with anyone).  Or am i missing something?

I don't think there is much value because getting access isn't only done
by buffer overflows and such on compiled programs.  If you can find one
then sure you might be able to get root access if the program you break
into is running at root.  But you can do an awful lot of damage by
merely having unprivileged access.  All you need is authentication
credentials and regular users are horrible about keeping
their credentials private.

In fact the only place I can see a whole lot of value to is the
manufacturers of cell phones since companies like Verizon lock the boot
loaders as they do not wish owners of their phones to root them and
get rid of annoying Verizon advertising and other suchlike.   Rooting
those devices is mainly done by breaking into security holes on the phone.

Ted