DoH plugin for BIND

Chuck Aurora ca at nodns4.us
Tue May 5 16:20:10 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-02 14:35, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 02.05.20 um 21:31 schrieb Chuck Aurora:
>> On 2020-05-02 13:23, Erich Eckner wrote:
>>> Will there be client-side DoT/DoH support in bind, too? E.g. will my
>>> recursive (or forwarding) resolver be able to resolve upstream dns
>>> via
>>
>> Well, a recursive resolver cannot use DoT/DoH for iterative queries to
>> authoritative NS servers, unless authoritative servers offered
>> DoT/DoH,
>> and I don't think that's likely to happen.
>>
>> Basically by deciding you want DoH/DoT upstream, you also have decided
>> that you want to use forwarders.
>
> says who?
>
> https://www.cira.ca/newsroom/canadian-shield/cira-launches-canadian-shield-provide-free-privacy-and-security-canadians

Thanks for the reply, but FWIW, I don't have a clue what point you
intended to make?  I looked at that CIRA page twice, and it is simply
a DoH/DoT forwarder.  Absolutely nothing in that release mentions any
change in DNS protocol.

DoH/DoT covers only one hop: the end user to the recursive resolver.
Beyond that one hop is good old-fashioned unencrypted DNS.  By using
DoH/DoT, whether in your own stub resolver or in a [future] BIND, you
are using that DoH/DoT server as your forwarder.

(Harald, please feel free to ignore Reply-To if you are unable to
post to the list.  Thanks.)