DNS Queries Using API - BIND9

Blason R blason16 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 04:14:35 UTC 2020

Hi Folks,

I am seeking solution for our below problem and wanted to know if any open
source option can help us here?
We have our internal DNS RPZ firewall built on BIND9. Due to the current
situation since all users are working from home we are not able to route
their queries to internal DNS servers. Well, when they are on VPN
definitely queries are then passed through internal DNS server but they
left open when not connected to VPN.

Is there any solution using -

   - API by which we can route the queries for user who are on Internet
   - Or any client utility which can be installed on user's desktop/laptop
   where we can embed our BIND RPZ server and then route the queries to
   internal one using NAT?
   - Or any other alternative community can suggest?

This is just like Cisco Umbrella or any other Paid DNS firewall solutions
but seeking if we can have any open source option?

Thanks & Regards
Blason R