Testing a new master server...

John W. Blue john.blue at rrcic.com
Thu Nov 19 06:26:05 UTC 2020

Hello Bruce!

For opening comments .. I have nothing but empathy for you and the firefight you are in.  "Intuitional inertia" is never enjoyable especially when you are the one tasked with change.

So you indicated "upstream network management" is sending DNS/DHCP traffic but then you say that it is from your vLAN's.  That does not make sense.

It feels like what you meant to say is that you have a bunch of zones and there is a ton of traffic (DNS/DHCP) being sent from your vLAN's *and* you need to coordinate and changes with "upstream network management".  The reason why I bring this up is because (without extra data points) it feels like you are attempting to replace an old bandaid with a new one hoping that will resolve user angst.

Some things to think about as a sanity check:
If the current configuration is so easy to break, do you really want to keep administrating a design that is doing that?
What change management processes are in place when OS patches need to be applied or there DNS/DHCP maintenance to be done?
Does this server face the open Internet or is it exclusively an RFC1918 box?
If one server is responsible for both DNS/DHCP for everything would it make more sense to split the roles out?

Assuming there is currently one RFC1918 server for everything, my thoughts (at a very high level) would be to redesign the environment to start using a hidden primary.  Next, stand up two DNS servers as secondaries (configured with ' allow-update-forwarding ') each running DHCP to take advantage of "auto partner down".  With a hidden primary there is now a single source of truth on the network that is being dynamically update by the secondaries.

When it comes time for maintenance, rebooting or taking one of the secondary servers offline will not kill off the services for the users.  When it is time to apply patches to the hidden primary, do that after hours.  " allow-update-forwarding" is real-time forwarding not store and forward.

To address your question about "allow-transfer" and "allow-update" I don’t think those are as important as disabling "also-notify".

Regardless, I do hope your migration goes smooth!

John