Abour RRL and Best Practise

Tom J. Marcoen tom.marcoen+isc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 11:18:38 UTC 2020

Hey Onur,

I would guess it depends on your setup and how many traffic you
receive.  [1] gives
as an example a value of 10 responses per second, which I would say is
a good place
to start.  [5] gives a value of 5 responses per second and I get the
impression that
that is the value used by the F root servers.  You can always
implement RRL on one
of your authoritative name servers with a value of 10 and try lower
values if all
seems to be ok.

Both resources are from ISC so I would say they are good advice to start with.

PS: RRL is disabled by default so the default value is "0", meaning
"no limit" (see
the ARM for version 9.16.8 on page 73).

[1]: https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00994
[2]: https://conference.apnic.net/data/37/apricot-2014-rrl_1393309768.pdf