Help needed with failed queries - SERVFAIL

Olaf Frączyk olaf at navi.pl
Sat Oct 3 23:39:25 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm running bind on CentOS 8:

bind-9.11.13-6.el8_2.1.x86_64

 From time to time I get SERVFAIL responses.

When the client queries second time, it gets the answer, so this are
transient errors. I don't see any pattern for them.

This happens probably a few times a day - enough to make it annoying in
long term. The worst is on Windows clients, as they need to do "ipconfig
/flushdns".

However I don't know the cause, running debug I got this:

client @0x7fcb50128510 192.168.217.121#34656 (piekielni.pl): view
internaldns-view: query failed (SERVFAIL) for piekielni.pl/IN/A at
../../../bin/named/query.c:9385
client @0x7fcb50128510 192.168.217.121#34656 (piekielni.pl): view
internaldns-view: error
client @0x7fcb50128510 192.168.217.121#34656 (piekielni.pl): view
internaldns-view: send
client @0x7fcb50128510 192.168.217.121#34656 (piekielni.pl): view
internaldns-view: sendto
client @0x7fcb50128510 192.168.217.121#34656 (piekielni.pl): view
internaldns-view: senddone
client @0x7fcb50128510 192.168.217.121#34656 (piekielni.pl): view
internaldns-view: next
client @0x7fcb50128510 192.168.217.121#34656 (piekielni.pl): view
internaldns-view: endrequest
fetch completed at ../../../lib/dns/resolver.c:2870 for piekielni.pl/A
in 0.707553: failure/success
[domain:piekielni.pl,referral:2,restart:1,qrysent:0,timeout:0,lame
:0,quota:0,neterr:0,badresp:0,adberr:0,findfail:2,valfail:0]

Why qrysent is 0, but findfail 2?

I'm not very familiar with the output, maybe someone could explain me
what is happening.

Best regards,

Olaf Frączyk

--