forwarders used in order or based on RTT ?

tale d.lawrence at salesforce.com
Fri Oct 16 14:39:05 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:22 AM Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:
>> On 16.10.20 09:56, Bob Harold wrote:
> >The BIND ARM (9.16.2) says:
> >"There may be one or more forwarders, and they are queried in turn until
> >the list is exhausted or an answer is found."
> >
> >But [an old mailinglist post] says:
> >"Forwarders are selected based on an RTT(round-trip-time)-based algorithm"
> >
> >So which is correct?
>
> both are. The ARM does not say they are queried in defined order.
> The order is defined by RTT

To be fair, the ARM strongly implies in its context that it's the
order you put them in the list.

The ARM discrepancy has already been noted by ISC, but the first bug
report in the long long ago on it was never really fixed.    They
raised the issue again internally a few months ago and so I would
anticipate that the ARM will be fixed in a not too distant release.

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues/2030