Malformed transaction errors

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Mon Oct 19 11:45:22 UTC 2020

On 19 Oct 2020, at 00:54, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:
> On 18.10.20 11:00, @lbutlr wrote:
>> I am getting the following error on one specific domain and I am unsure how to fi it. Searching for the error lead to suggestions about not running multiple copies of bind on the same machine, but that is not the case here (and it is only affecting one domain).
>>
>> named[652] malformed transaction: example.com.signed.jnl last serial 2018022385 != transaction first serial 2018022384
>> named[652] zone example.com/IN: zone_resigninc:dns_journal_write_transaction -> unexpected error
>> named[652] malformed transaction: example.com.signed.jnl last serial 2018022385 != transaction first serial 2018022384
>> named[652] zone example.com/IN: zone_resigninc:dns_journal_write_transaction -> unexpected error
>>
>> If I put aside the jnl file and stop/start bind the error goes away, but eventually it comes back, always for the same domain.
>>
>> (Setup is DNS primary on on machine and a secondary server on a separate machine. Errors are on the primary server.)
>
> what's the primary server? maybe broken DNS implementation

Bind $CURRENT ((9.16.7)), though this has been happening sporadically for months.

Stopping and starting bind after removing the jnl files seems to fix it for quite awhile

Other than the logged error there seems to be no other side-effect of this, the domain continues to resolve. I suspect it might have something to do with the DNSEC self-updating, but that is only a guess based on the fact it takes a long time to recur.

--
Mirrors contain infinity. Infinity contains more things than you
	think. Everything, for a start. Including hunger. Because there's