Upgrading from 9.14.12 to 9.16.4 - with existing DNSSEC zones

Duncan duncan at isn-portal.de
Tue Sep 1 15:06:10 UTC 2020

I am using DNSSEC for more than 5 years now (never had a problem so far),
but after upgrading to the latest bind-9.16.4 the verification fails using
Verisign's DNSSEC Validator.

I reverted back to 9.14.12 and everything works as expected.

First I started upgrading my secondary DNS-Server (primary left untouched
!!!) to 9.16.4 - restarted named and everything seems to be OK.

So I tested with Verisign's DNSSEC Validator
https://dnssec-analyzer.verisignlabs.com/ before upgrading my primary DNS.

And Verisign reported an error -> All Queries to
secondary.my-dnsserver-domain.com for my-domain.com/A timed out or failed

Test Results: https://ibb.co/7QLVJsC

Any ideas? .or should I upgrade both servers before I do my first test (not
only the secondary server)? As I said, I only updated my secondary server
and left my primary server untouched!

Are there any related upgrade issues from from 9.14.12 to 9.16.4, which I
should take care first (do I have to update something in my configs)? Is it
possible to keep my already signed zones of my 9.14.12 installation? Or do I
have to re-sign anything?