"forward first" set on a master zone not working as expected

Kevin Darcy kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Thu Sep 3 13:00:56 UTC 2020

[ Classification Level: GENERAL BUSINESS ]

Or, if you absolutely *must* use the same namespace internally and
externally (oftentimes you can't talk the business out of that), your
internal version should be a more-or-less a superset of your external
version.

How you keep those in sync is up to you. For us, we have a centralized
management system that makes the relevant updates in parallel. The big
caveat with that is, those few situations where the DNS needs to be
"schizophrenic", i.e. resolve differently in the internal versus external
versions of the zones. We try to keep that nonsense to a minimum, but when
we can't talk people out of it, we handle it on an exception basis.

I suppose another approach is to have a backend database which tags each
record as being "internal", "external" or "both", and then the respective
versions of the zones get generated accordingly. You'd need something to
ensure referential integrity, though, otherwise you might end up with
dangling references (e.g. CNAME/MX/SRV targets), bad delegations, etc.

                - Kevin

P.S. No offense to schizophrenics. I guess a more accurate term would be
"multiple personality".