Preventing a particular type of nameserver abuse

Peter Coghlan bind at beyondthepale.ie
Mon Apr 12 19:41:13 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have a nameserver which is authoritative for three or four domain names.
It receives around 1000 queries per day that could be regarded as plausably
legitimate.  It receives around ten times that number of absive queries per
day from presumably spoofed ip addresses, the vast majority of them IN ANY
queries for the "sl" domain or for the root nameservers all of which my
nameserver responds to with return code 5 ie refused.

In many cases, the source port is a low number such as 53, 80, 96 or 443
for example which might make some sense if these were TCP queries but they
are all UDP queries and apart from attempting to target port 53, attempting
to target the other low UDP port numbers make no sense to me.

I have searched high up and low down for any discussion about this kind
of abuse and found very little regarding abusive queries for the root
nameservers, none at all regarding the sl domain (although it is a difficult
term to search for) and nothing at all regarding the oddball source ports
either.

Even though the "refused" responses from my nameserver are "small", the
general persistence of the abusers over a long period of time suggests to
me that they are finding these queries effective for some kind of abuse,
perhaps by way of having a very large number of nameservers return them
(unless they are too stupid to care whether the queries are answered or
refused which I suppose is also possible).

As far as I can see providing no response at all in any instance when a
code 5 refused response would normally be returned would be the appropriate
thing for my nameserver to do here and doing this would cause no difficulties
at all with any legitimate queries or anyone who is not an abuser.  Am I
correct here?

I have searched for a way to prevent my nameserver from responding
to these queries at all in order to reduce the impact on the targets
of this abuse.  All results of my research point to the use of
rate limiting as the only approach available for dealing with this
sort of issue.

The abusive queries are clearly designed to circumvent the widely
suggested "errors-per-second 5" as they arrive in groups of five
per second and applying this limitation has little or no effect
on them.

I have tried "errors-per-second 1" and this seems to reduce the abuse
by about four fifths but one fifth of it still manages to get through
and I don't find this acceptable.

Instead, when I notice particularly heavy abuse of my nameserver,
I apply packet filtering to prevent the abusive queries from reaching
my nameserver and therefore to prevent it responding to them.  I
also routinely packet filter all UDP dns queries with source port
numbers less than 1024 which I hope is the appropriate cutoff point.

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the impact of this abuse
of my nameserver on others?

My feeling is that mine can't be the only nameserver experiencing this
kind of abuse and that many nameserver admins probably would not even
notice it unless they had query logging or query-error logging turned
on and checked the logs.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.

--Boundary_(ID_/cANmbMgveXk/KlZF+xdIQ)--