Preventing a particular type of nameserver abuse

Kevin Darcy kevin.darcy at stellantis.com
Mon Apr 12 20:41:32 UTC 2021

[ Classification Level: GENERAL BUSINESS ]

It's not a "BIND" solution, per se, but if you have a
sufficiently-sophisticated IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) you could have
it simply drop all queries of a particular QNAME, or any particular
combination of QNAME, QTYPE, QCLASS, before those packets even get to
named. I know SNORT-based IPSes can do this, not so sure about other IPSes,
but most of them have a custom rule/signature capability. As Grant pointed
out, it wouldn't even need to be a dedicated IPS -- one could potentially
leverage that IPS capabilities of a firewall.

          - kevin