FW: Preventing a particular type of nameserver abuse

Jim Popovitch jimpop at domainmail.org
Wed Apr 14 10:22:04 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-04-14 at 08:07 +0000, Richard T.A. Neal wrote:

> Just out of interest, because I run some services on OVH, I know what
> that term means. When you rent a dedicated server from OVH you are
> assigned a single IPv4 address. Let's assume that you then want to use
> VMware or Hyper-V on that dedicated server to run some VMs - for many
> of those VMs you'll obviously want a distinct public IPv4 address. So
> OVH assign you what they term a "failover" block of IPv4 addresses. I
> don't know why they use that term, I just know that they do! So really
> it's just confirmation that it's an OVH customer (running a VM on a
> dedicated server) that is either the source IP or the spoofed target.

Additional IP address are one thing, Failover IPs are something else.
In OVH land they unfortunately lease additional IPs using the same
french-to-english translated text form.  OVH "Failover IPs" are probably
used more for adding an additional IP to a leased server
(VPS/Cloud/Physical), but the true purpose and benefit of OVH (and other
provider's) Failover IP is that the customer can have one or more
reserved IPs and quickly transfer them from server to server using the
OVH API.  This is great for database resiliency/failover, etc.

-Jim P.