Can't use Bind DLZ through LDAPS SSL

Dario García Díaz-Miguel dgdiaz at gmv.com
Wed Feb 17 06:54:33 UTC 2021

Hi everybody,

Since I'm a little bit desperate with this issue, and after asking this on reddit (r/sysadmin) and serverfault with low or none responses, I tried some configurations with the ideas an user gave me with still no luck:

- Using ldap:// and socket path translation using the python library urllib.parse:

dlz "ldap zone" {
database "ldap 2
v3 simple {uid=bind/test-machine.example.com,ou=Services,dc=example,dc=com} {secret} 192.168.1.15
ldap://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com???objectclass=dlzZone
ldap://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzHostName=\$record\$,dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzPreference,dlzData,dlzIpAddr?sub?(&(objectclass=dlzAbstractRecord)(!(dlzType=soa)))
ldap://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzHostName=@,dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,=dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzData,dlzPrimaryNS,dlzAdminEmail,dlzSerial,dlzRefresh,dlzRetry,dlzExpire,dlzMinimum?sub?(&(objectclass=dlzAbstractRecord)(dlzType=soa))
ldap://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzHostname,dlzPreference,dlzData,dlzIpAddr,dlzPrimaryNS,dlzAdminEmail,dlzSerial,dlzRefresh,dlzRetry,dlzExpire,dlzMinimum?sub?(&(objectClass=dlzAbstractRecord)(!(dlzType=soa)))
ldap://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com??sub?(&(objectclass=dlzXFR)(dlzIPAddr=\$client\$))";
};

- Using ldapi:// and socket path translation using the python code:

dlz "ldap zone" {
database "ldap 2
v3 simple {uid=bind/test-machine.example.com,ou=Services,dc=example,dc=com} {secret} 192.168.1.15
ldapi://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com???objectclass=dlzZone
ldapi://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzHostName=\$record\$,dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzPreference,dlzData,dlzIpAddr?sub?(&(objectclass=dlzAbstractRecord)(!(dlzType=soa)))
ldapi://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzHostName=@,dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,=dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzData,dlzPrimaryNS,dlzAdminEmail,dlzSerial,dlzRefresh,dlzRetry,dlzExpire,dlzMinimum?sub?(&(objectclass=dlzAbstractRecord)(dlzType=soa))
ldapi://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzHostname,dlzPreference,dlzData,dlzIpAddr,dlzPrimaryNS,dlzAdminEmail,dlzSerial,dlzRefresh,dlzRetry,dlzExpire,dlzMinimum?sub?(&(objectClass=dlzAbstractRecord)(!(dlzType=soa)))
ldapi://%2Frun%2Fslapd%2Fldapi/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com??sub?(&(objectclass=dlzXFR)(dlzIPAddr=\$client\$))";
};

- Using ldaps:// and FQDN:

dlz "ldap zone" {
database "ldap 2
v3 simple {uid=bind/test-machine.example.com,ou=Services,dc=example,dc=com} {secret} 192.168.1.15
ldaps://test-machine.example.com/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com???objectclass=dlzZone
ldaps://test-machine.example.com/dlzHostName=\$record\$,dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzPreference,dlzData,dlzIpAddr?sub?(&(objectclass=dlzAbstractRecord)(!(dlzType=soa)))
ldaps://test-machine.example.com/dlzHostName=@,dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,=dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzData,dlzPrimaryNS,dlzAdminEmail,dlzSerial,dlzRefresh,dlzRetry,dlzExpire,dlzMinimum?sub?(&(objectclass=dlzAbstractRecord)(dlzType=soa))
ldaps://test-machine.example.com/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com?dlzTTL,dlzType,dlzHostname,dlzPreference,dlzData,dlzIpAddr,dlzPrimaryNS,dlzAdminEmail,dlzSerial,dlzRefresh,dlzRetry,dlzExpire,dlzMinimum?sub?(&(objectClass=dlzAbstractRecord)(!(dlzType=soa)))
ldaps://test-machine.example.com/dlzZoneName=\$zone\$,ou=dns,dc=example,dc=com??sub?(&(objectclass=dlzXFR)(dlzIPAddr=\$client\$))";
};

- Using ldaps:// and FQDN and FQDN as connection parameter:

dlz "ldap zone" {
database "ldap 2
v3 simple {uid=bind/test-machine.example.com,ou=Services,dc=example,dc=com} {secret} test-machine.example.com
[...]

My ldap.conf:

TLS_CACERT            /etc/openldap/certs/CA.cert.pem
TLS_CACERT_DIR        /etc/openldap/certs/
TLS_CERT              /etc/openldap/certs/test-machine.example.com.cert.pem
TLS_KEY               /etc/openldap/certs/test-machine.example.com.key.pem
TLS_REQCERT           try
BASE                  dc=example,dc=com
SASL_MECH            EXTERNAL
SASL_REALM            EXAMPLE.COM
URI                   ldaps://test-machine.example.com:636

Please, some help would be totally appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Dario Garcia
Díaz-Miguel
GGCS-SES Unit