SRV Record Server Availability

tale d.lawrence at salesforce.com
Tue Jan 5 15:52:53 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 4:30 AM Wilfred Sarmiento via bind-users
<bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:
> Is DNS Bind SRV record can detect the Server's availability? If yes, how?

Could you provide more information about your goal?  I don't fully
understand the question.

For my reading, the answer is basically no, in that an SRV record just
provides data about where.a particular service can be found.  It's up
to other systems to fetch that data and interpret it, including
whether that service is actually available at the given endpoint.  In
its typical operation, BIND will just take whatever name and port the
zone administrator said to provide for that SRV record, and not do any
sort of availability checks on it.

However, if you go deep into a far more complicated, custom use of
BIND, you could set up a process that monitors the availability and
changes the SRV record accordingly.
--
tale