Problem with internal/external VIEWs

Dean Gibson (DNS Administrator) isc at mailpen.com
Mon Jul 5 19:36:52 UTC 2021

Currently running Bind v9.11.4:

Several years ago, I implemented multiple VIEWs using (almost) the exact
example in the Reference Manual.  However, I wanted the
"example-internal.db" and "example-external.db" to be the same file.

This worked until I wanted to have "example.com" updateable via ddns.  I
don't remember the exact error, but I have a note in my configuration
file of /"don't do that!"/ (use the same file).  So, I removed the first
zone declaration for "example.com". That was still with Bind v9, but a
lesser minor version.

So, the result is that I can't do a "dig -k tsig.file @localhost -t axfr
example.com" from the server command line.  The transfer is denied,
because "match-clients" forces me into the first (internal) VIEW.

The server is behind a firewall (which has a forward to the server), so
"dig" works if I specify "dig -k tsig.file @ns1.example.com".  Because
of this, I can still use "dig" like I want on the server.

However, I'd think this must be a common issue.  Any resolution (like
recognizing & dealing with two references to a dynamically updated file)?