query-source and listened interfaces

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Mon Jul 12 15:17:16 UTC 2021

Should authoritative servers reply different way to each recursive
server IP?

I think whatever tweaks needs to be done, they should be done on
recursive server. Whether using secondary zones or RPZ manipulation, but
I think it should not make difference to other servers in chain.

How would be served content different? Is there reason, why remote
authoritative server changes replies based on source IP? Could it be
moved closer to clients? Would it make sense to create just separate
instances for separate resolver groups?

It would be more clear is authoritative responded always the same way
for everyone. Possible changes would be implemented at recursive
resolver itself. Sharing for example RPZ rules for multiple servers if
required.

Just my 2 cents.

Petr