ITS THE NUMBER OF CORES/THREADS

Richard T.A. Neal richard at richardneal.com
Fri Jul 23 17:57:36 UTC 2021

Hi Peter,

I’ve run a few tests based on your observations regarding the number of vCPU cores and my own findings are that it is specifically 8 vCPUs and 12 vCPUs which exhibit this behaviour. I haven’t been able to test beyond 12 vCPUs because that’s my hardware limit.

With 1-7 vCPUs, or with 9-11 vCPUs BIND 9.16.19 starts just fine. But with either 8 vCPUs or 12 vCPUs the ISC BIND service fails to start.

If I try and start the service manually I get:

/ / / / /
Windows could not start the ISC BIND service on Local Computer.
Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.
/ / / / /

And if I look in the Windows Application Event Log I see named logging all of the following, and then it stops right after logging that it’s using 1 UDP listener per interface:

/ / / / /
BIND 9 is maintained by Internet Systems Consortium,
Inc. (ISC), a non-profit 501(c)(3) public-benefit
corporation.  Support and training for BIND 9 are
available at https://www.isc.org/support
found 8 CPUs, using 8 worker threads
using 1 UDP listener per interface
/ / / / /

You should file a bug report on ISC’s BIND bug tracker if you’d like them to investigate it. It doesn’t impact me I’m afraid because my Windows BIND servers are all 2 vCPU virtual machines – I find that’s plenty enough resource to run BIND for me.

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues

Best,

Richard.