response policy zones (rpz) and views - memory consumption

Jiri Hromadka naxos7 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 14:08:11 UTC 2021

Hi,

I’ve read many archived mails here and I haven’t found solution / answer, so let me ask you guys.

I’m running Bind 9.11+ and using views for around 10 clients on single server, all clients has different settings and everything was working great, until we’ve decided to implement RPZ for them. We build single rpz zone file from opensource/paid sources and it contains more than 200k malicious/adware/phishing domains that we want our clients protect from. When we use this zone and set response policy for testing view, everything was working perfect and binds memory consumption has increased by ~100MB. However when we’ve set the same rpz zone any response policy for other views (we want all view has the same RPZ zone and policy), binds memory consumption has increased by ~100MB for each zone. This might be a problem in future when rpz zone file gets bigger.

Is there any way to reuse already loaded rpz zone in memory for other views ? I know in-view is not an option for rpz, using one master / slave zones has same memory effect.

Thank you for any advice.

Jiri