named reload and HTTPS certs

Richard T.A. Neal richard at richardneal.com
Sat Jun 5 09:41:08 UTC 2021

Hi Eric,

When I initially looked at this I was using “rndc reload” whenever changing the the cert. Artem Boldariev (Lead Developer for DoH at the ISC) suggested that actually “rndc reconfig” would be the better way to do this since we only need named to re-read the config file, we *do not* need it to needlessly re-read the zone files if they haven’t been changed.

You can confirm this by running the following command against your BIND DoH server (obviously replace “your.server.net” with your name server’s FQDN):

$ openssl s_client -showcerts -connect your.server.net:443

Now edit named.conf.options to reference a different certificate, and then run “rndc reconfig”

Run the openssl command again and you will see that the certificate has indeed changed to the new one you specified in named.conf.options.

Best,

Richard.