Need Help with BIND9

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 12 14:11:09 UTC 2021

Am 12.06.21 um 14:30 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> On 11.06.21 18:19, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>> From my place I resolve both to: 98.191.108.149
>>
>> keiththewebguy.com. does not actually have the two nameservers
>> required though that is not the problem. (ns1 and ns2 have same IP)
>>
>> BIND seems to work ok but your local settings probably don't point
>> your hosts to the right NS.
>
> looks like you have registered domain on two servers, but failed to
> provided the servers' IPs. "glue records" is what your domain needs
>
> KEITHTHEWEBGUY.COM.     172800  IN      NS      NS1.KEITHTHEWEBGUY.COM.
> KEITHTHEWEBGUY.COM.     172800  IN      NS      ns2.KEITHTHEWEBGUY.COM.
> couldn't get address for 'NS1.KEITHTHEWEBGUY.COM': failure
> couldn't get address for 'ns2.KEITHTHEWEBGUY.COM': failure
> dig: couldn't get address for 'NS1.KEITHTHEWEBGUY.COM': no more

besides that it's not even clar if that zones are meant to be public
and/or both public nameservers are really pointing to the machine with
named in question

anyways:
https://intodns.com/

don't run public servers before doing the basic homework

---------------

this is a NO-GO - they need to be different machines which shouldn't
live on the same network at all but never be the same machine

Domain NS records 	Nameserver records returned by the parent servers are:

ns1.keiththewebguy.com.   ['98.191.108.149']   [TTL=172800]
ns2.keiththewebguy.com.   ['98.191.108.149']   [TTL=172800]

a.gtld-servers.net was kind enough to give us that information.

---------------

and *that* is why you need *at least* two independent nameservers for a
domain

Mismatched NS records 	WARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not
return any of your NS records.
Error 	DNS servers responded 	ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did
not respond:
The ones that did not respond are:
98.191.108.149

---------------

Multiple Nameservers 	ERROR: Looks like you have less than 2
nameservers. According to RFC2182 section 5 you must have at least 3
nameservers, and no more than 7. Having 2 nameservers is also ok by me.

---------------

Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers 	You should already
know that your NS records at your nameservers are missing, so here it is
again:

ns1.keiththewebguy.com.
ns2.keiththewebguy.com.

SOA 	Error 	SOA record	No valid SOA record came back!
MX 	Error 	MX Records	Oh well, I did not detect any MX records so you
probably don't have any and if you know you should have then they may be
missing at your nameservers!
WWW 	Error 	WWW A Record 	ERROR: I could not get any A records for
www.keiththewebguy.com!

(I only do a cache request, if you recently added a WWW A record, it
might not show up here.)