do I need to configure a Caching Server

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 19 08:14:25 UTC 2021

Am 18.06.21 um 20:28 schrieb techlists at phpcoderusa.com:
> I am building a home PHP hosting server for learning.  I have a
> commercial connection to the Internet so no blocked ports and my ISP
> allows servers.

unless you are hosting a authoritative zone aka domain on your
nameserver it don't matter what your ISP allows

if you are not hosting any official zone you shouldn't have the port
open to the world because nobody but bots and attackers will ask your
server anyways

> I believe I only need a Primary Master Server.  Is this the case?

what is your usecase to begin with?

if it's just internal hostnames for your LAN maybe dnsmasq is the better
solution because it can use simple hostfiles like /etc/hosts and
forwards everything else to your ISP nameserver

> My question is, do I need to configure a Caching Server?

there is nothing to configure, if you ask your named for something it's
not authoritative it either forwards or doing recursion (depends on the
configuration) and cache the result based on the TTL

> In /etc/bind/named.conf.options:
>

>          [...]
>
>          forwarders {
>               1.2.3.4;
>               5.6.7.8;
>          };
>
>          [...]
>
> Do I need to set the forwarders?

no

let named do it's out-of-the-box job which is recursion - i can't think
of any usecase where i do the work setup a nameserver and then forward
everything to a crappy ISP server

after stop using forwarding all random dns problems where gone and never
came back