Managing localhost

Kevin Darcy kevin.darcy at stellantis.com
Mon Jun 21 17:07:34 UTC 2021

[ Classification Level: GENERAL BUSINESS ]

That chapter doesn't show any PTR records, for the reverse zones of any
*public* address range, pointing back to a "localhost" name. It only shows
a PTR record in the reverse zone for the 127.0.0/24 private range, which is
what enables a reverse lookup for 127.0.0.1. Your ISP isn't (or shouldn't
be) hosting reverse zones for any range under the 127/8 private block, on
your behalf. That's your responsibility; hence the term "private".

And, as Tony mentioned, these days it's highly questionable whether
"localhost" entries in *any* zone, forward or reverse, serve any useful
purpose, and may actually cause harm.

- Kevin