Odd A record in our hosts zone file

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Jun 25 18:44:26 UTC 2021

On 25.06.21 18:29, Bruce  Johnson wrote:
>Thank you…this is very useful information; I thought TTL could only be specified on a per-zone basis, not per-host.

not even per-host. Different RR types for the same host can have different
TTL.

>mail            1m      IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.52; dhbex1
>mail            1m      IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.54; dhbex2

mail		1d	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 a -all"
mail		1h	IN	MX	0	mail

etc.
Only same RR types MUST have same value so e.g.:

mail            1m      IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.52; dhbex1
mail            2m      IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.54; dhbex2

would be incorrect and server will choose one of those to implement for all
RRs (see rfc 2182 section 5.2)
Linux IS user friendly, it's just selective who its friends are...