Deprecating BIND 9.18+ on Windows (or making it community improved and supported)

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Thu May 13 13:45:20 UTC 2021

Hey,

just a follow-up with a recent real life example.

I’ve spent few days hunting a problem on Windows that got introduced by a fix to outgoing UDP selection code.  While having bugs in normal (and this was really one-liner), it’s abnormal to not have tools for debugging the problem.  Here’s the (incomplete) list of things that would have to be fixed:

1. Automatic crashdump collection in our CI - it should work, but it simply doesn’t and it also ignores the crashdump collection on the Hyper-V Windows Server 2016 I am using for building and debugging Windows binaries

2. Automatic crashdump processing - we need full backtrace printed for all the threads, both in the CI and as a “cookbook” for developers.

3. The build system rewrite - currently, the build system is this horrible hybrid of Perl that generated MSVC solution files (ninja-build or cmake would be sane alternatives)

4. Improvements like this: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/merge_requests/5020 <— the new networking stack uses libuv where we setup listening on each netmgr thread, on Windows, we currently limit this to **single thread**. This branch is an attempt to use WS2 API to make Windows work same as the rest of platforms, but it fails horribly.  It’s beyond our capacity to pursue this any further.

Currently, working on Windows feels like landing on an alien planet with failing lifesupport and finding these strange large eggs in the cavern while having Sigourney Weaver on the team.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)
ondrej at isc.org