BIND caching of nxdomain responses

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Oct 23 14:02:14 UTC 2021

On 22.10.21 10:56, Dan Hanks wrote:
>I am not authoritative, I'm just making recursive queries against this domain.
>
>When you say, "BIND will use cache time that came from authoritative
>server", what 'cache time' are you referring to? Are you referring to
>the values in the SOA record included in the AUTHORITY section of the
>NXDOMAIN response?

I assume that BIND will keep the TTL as it was received from upstream
servers (of course, local TTL restrictions may override it)

If the upstream sends SOA record with TTL 900 second, BIND will keep it at
900 seconds, no matter what the SOA minimum says.

if the TTL returned above is 900 seconds, BIND will return 900 and cache the
record for up to 900 seconds.
It's now safe to throw off your computer.