BIND 'max-cache-size' Value on FreeBSD-13.0

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Sep 2 14:38:11 UTC 2021

On 9/2/21 16:30, Michal Nowak wrote:

> Mark, what's the exact BIND 9.16 version which is crashing for you?

I started off with 9.16.19 several weeks ago (coming from 9.11), and
that was crashing.

I upgraded to 9.16.20 last week, and it's crashing too.

> Why do you say that the reason for crashing is BIND running out of
> swap? How did you found out?

     Aug 29 10:56:36 ns-01-emg kernel: pid 59549 (named), jid 0, uid 53,
was killed: out of swap space

> Note that BIND 9.16.19 was tripping over a misplaced assert, see
> https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.16.20/doc/arm/html/notes.html#notes-for-bind-9-16-20.

Yes, I saw this and assumed that is what was causing my problem. But
alas, given how busy the log files are on a high-load resolver, it was
by pure luck that I managed to view the logs at the exact time BIND
crashed, last week.

Mark.