BIND 'max-cache-size' Value on FreeBSD-13.0

Michael Sinatra michael at brokendns.net
Thu Sep 2 21:51:15 UTC 2021

On 9/2/21 2:35 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Not sure if this issue offers some clue:
>
> https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues/2575
>
> I see its maintainer just closed it 11hrs ago...

I have noticed this also and have opened a (similar but different)
issue, but it's a bit weird how it manifests itself.

On your freebsd installation, make sure that all of your interfaces are
configured and that bind can listen on them.  (They don't necessarily
need to be up; they just need to be configured.)

Also, 'listen-on[-v6] any;' is more likely to prevent this kind of
memory leaking than having it listen on explicit addresses.  But the way
I can (more) reliably reproduce it is to have a 'listen-on' statement
that references a non-existent interface/address.

I think this is a libuv problem, but I have been really short on time to
troubleshoot.  But in the meantime, I would check on your 'listen-on'
statements and make sure there aren't any stray addresses in there.

michael