BIND 'max-cache-size' Value on FreeBSD-13.0

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Sep 3 05:17:52 UTC 2021

On 9/3/21 01:55, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> 'listen-on any;' is the default for v4, so you should actually be
> listening on 127.0.0.1 in addition to everything else (since all of
> your listen-on's for v4 appear to be commented out).  You *should* be
> able to remove 'listen-on-v6    { ::1; };' and just leave the
> 'listen-on-v6    { any; };' in place.  Doing a 'sockstat | grep named'
> on FreeBSD should confirm this once you restart named (pretty sure you
> already knew that, but I thought I'd mention it for completeness).

With "listen-on    { 127.0.0.1; };" commented out, BIND will listen only
on the main IPv4 interfaces, and exclude just the localhost.

I've changed it to the below, now:

// If named is being used only as a local resolver, this is a safe default.
// For named to be accessible to the network, comment this option, specify
// the proper IP address, or delete this option.
//      listen-on       { 127.0.0.1; };
          listen-on       { any; };

// If you have IPv6 enabled on this system, uncomment this option for
// use as a local resolver.  To give access to the network, specify
// an IPv6 address, or the keyword "any".
//      listen-on-v6    { ::1; };
          listen-on-v6    { any; };

It is now listening on all interfaces, both IPv4 and IPv6 localhost
addresses, as well as the IPv6 link-local addresses.

I've also removed the 'max-cache-size' setting, which should default
BIND to 90% of physical RAM.

Let me monitor and report back. Thanks.

Mark.