Getting the name of responding server(s)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Sep 9 10:20:14 UTC 2021

In message <YTm5xuAtW6fKpSO7 at nic.fr>,
Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 10:48:57AM -0400,
> Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> wrote
> a message of 32 lines which said:
>
>> Yeah, you can pretty reliably get the answer in one or two steps by
>> requesting the NS set for the FQDN.  You'll either get your answer, or
>> get an SOA with the name of the enclosing zone.  Second lookup gets
>> you the NS set for the enclosing zone.
>
>Indeed (unless you find a broken resolver that fail to send the SOA).

I don't want and don't need SOA records.  I want and need only the relevant
NS records.

>I was thinking of another issue: if the goal of the OP is to find
>which domain names are on the same authoritative name servers...

Thank you but no, that was not among my goals.

I just want the names of the final and actual name servers that would /
should respond to the given query.

>asking
>the NS may not be sufficient, if a name server is known by several
>names (for instance, a.nic.sex and a.nic.sucks are the same
>machine). So, the OP may have to do a resolution of nameservers' names
>into IP addresses, as well.

Thank you.  I am well and truly aware of that fact that multiple name
server names may resolve to some single common IP address.

Fortunately, for what I am doing, this fact is not of any relevance.

Regards,
rfg