Notice of plan to deprecate map zone file format

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Fri Sep 10 16:56:26 UTC 2021

>>> After all the "other improvements in performance" that you cited, what is the performance difference between map and the other formats?
>>
>> I don’t know that, to be honest. We don’t have the resources to benchmark everything. Maybe someone on this list could?  We would also like to be able to embark on a wholesale update to the rbtdb next year and this is the sort of thing that might complicate refactoring unnecessarily.

I was wrong, and in fact we have benchmarked it. See https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues/2882 <https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues/2882> for details. Map format is still faster than raw, but not so much faster that it warrants retaining it, given it is riskier, harder to maintain and we have no feedback from users that it is important to them.  It also seems not to work with large numbers of zones, (>100K) at least in current versions of 9.11 and 9.16, which is further indication that it isn’t in wide use or we would have had complaints.

We also have discussed internally that there are other factors, other than loading the zone files, that may have more impact on the time it takes a BIND server to restart.

If anyone out there is using it successfully, and wants us to keep this feature, this would be the time to speak up!

Thank you,

Vicky