Notice of plan to deprecate DLZ drivers (not DLZ modules)

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Mon Sep 20 20:11:43 UTC 2021

Hi bind-users,

This is a formal notice that the BIND 9 team plans to deprecate the old-style DLZ drivers
that had to be enabled at compile time, in favor of DLZ modules that could be compiled
independently and could be dynamically loaded at run-time.

The DLZ drivers were added into BIND 9 in 2005 and replaced by the DLZ modules in 2013.
The old-style DLZ drivers are no longer actively maintained and are marked as deprecated in
contrib/README since 2014. If your operations depend on a DLZ driver, now would be a good
time to migrate to DLZ modules. The DLZ drivers will be removed from BIND 9.18 and we will
add a deprecation warning into the autoconf script.

There are a few DLZ modules missing compared to the DLZ drivers - namely ODBC, PostgreSQL
and stub. We would be happy to accept code contributions from the community if you still depend
on those.

Thanks,
Ondrej

List of DLZ drivers: