How to measure use of forwarders?

Parkin, Richard (R.) rparki21 at ford.com
Wed Sep 22 13:21:48 UTC 2021

Hello!

We recently re-addressed some of our external-facing cache servers into a new network and discovered that our IPs appear to be blackholed going to certain third-party auth servers, either intentionally or unintentionally.  Our workaround while we sort through these issues is implementing forwarders.

I’d like to understand how much traffic is flowing to each forwarder (QPS, etc) and monitor that for any issues.  Is there a way to do that effectively in Bind without putting some kind of network device on the outbound path to measure it?  If not, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

--
Rich Parkin