Breaking change between 9.16.20 and 9.16.21 (check-names) ?

Thib D thibmac0241 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 08:54:55 UTC 2021

Hello,

I am currently rolling the 9.16.21 on a few bind servers. Most of the
servers rolled the update correctly except for one in particular (this is a
primary server of 2 other secondaries).

Here is the issue logged

Sep 23 10:42:07 host named[22788]: zoneload: zone [...]/IN: loading from
master file [...] failed: bad owner name (check-names)
Sep 23 10:42:07 host named[22788]: zoneload: zone [...]/IN: loading from
master file [...] failed: bad owner name (check-names)

I am aware of the issues with these zone configuration, this is why my
named.conf has this parameter, which I believe is useful to tell named to
keep loading the affected zone and log an issue, am I correct ?

check-names master warn;

Correct me if I'm wrong the 9.16.21 CHANGES do not mention any change on
this behaviour ? More surprisingly, it's only affecting one particular
server, one with a pretty similar config than the others on the zone load
policies.

Did I miss something in the changelog here ?

Thanks !