Logging dynamic update requests

Lee Flight lef at leicester.ac.uk
Wed Aug 18 08:45:04 UTC 1999

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Levon Esibov (Exchange) wrote:

> As time goes on we will inevitably see an increase in
> the number of Internet clients attempting dynamic DNS registration.

This has already been going on for some time (well since Windows 2000
beta 1 that is).

> Said this, I'd like to ask whether it is possible to turn off logging of the
> dynamic update requests on BIND servers?

Currently (Bind8.2) those messages are logged in the security category and
as such can channeled to any file you wish (including the bit bucket,
probably unwise for security events). See the documentation on "logging".

> It also may make sense to have the
> logging of unauthorized dynamic updates off by default.

Maybe but they are security events. I agree that we are going to see a lot
of this with the release version of Windows 2000 machines pointing at
inappropriate DNS servers but the people setting up the Windows 2000
should be getting that right (some hope).

                  Lee Flight

UK Windows 2000 RDP Site
Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom