draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-04.txt

Jim Bound bound at zk3.dec.com
Wed Jun 23 14:33:11 UTC 1999

>I will not answer for them, as I am not convinced of the necessity
>myself, except in the sense that's it's necesary to play ball with
>the ADs if we want this to go though.

Hmmm.  Then they should tell us on the list I think.
Tom or Erik??? Please..................

>> >  Down the road a short (?) way, the option will exist of using
>> >multiple questions in a single query, ...
>>
>> So why the urgency with BIND v9 so close?
>
>I don't know what's to be in BINDv9; I never heard of the bindv9 list
>before, but I do know that the multi-question feature is spec'd in
>EDNS1, and given the velocity of the much simpler EDNS0, (to say
>nothing of A6) I'm not going to pin anything on EDNS1 if I can help
>it.

BINDv9 is the next major arch release of BIND with lots of good stuff
like SMP.  A group of us vendors and some other folks are paying ISC to
deliver an NGN BIND that will eat gremlins so to speak.

The multiquery will be there we need it for IPv6, regardless of the
velocity of some spec.  But we can move forward I see your point now.

>> >  The rules for A6 processing in the server specify that A and AAAA
>> >are returned as additional data.  So requesting A6 from an A6-aware
>> >server which holds no A6 records won't waste a round-trip.
>>
>> I want this to happen but for the record I always have thought this was
>> a bad idea as a MUST requirement and should be able to be overriden by
>> some code to the server.  A client may not want the A or AAAA records...
>
>And the server knows this by what, ESP?  Remember, additional data is
>included only to the extent that it (a) fits in the packet and (b) is
>available in the responding server.

I am thinking we need to tell the server about the transition issue.

>> >    Applications or libraries implementing the function of looking up
>> >    IPv6 addresses by means of either A6 or AAAA records MUST be
>> >    configurable to operate in at least the following modes:
>> >    requesting A6 records before AAAA, AAAA before A6, and A6 only.
>> ????  I think you have a logic error in the above sentence ???
>> >    The default mode SHOULD be to request A6 before AAAA.
>
>Explain the error, please; I don't see it.

If I ask for A6 records before AAAA then why would I ask for AAAA
records before A6.  Its one way or the other?  A6 ONLY is good and
something I think we should be able to do per the above.

thanks
/jim