underscores and 8.2.2-P5

LaMont Jones lamont at hp.com
Tue Nov 30 21:11:48 UTC 1999

I just ran into the following while explaining to someone that underscores
were sometimes OK in an owner name.  (Depending on the ultimate RR type.)

Given zone data of:
    $ORIGIN example.com.
    a_1     IN CNAME b
    b       IN TXT "this is txt"
	    IN A 1.2.3.4

The following occur on a machine not authoritative for the zone:

    % dig a_1.example.com.
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 6
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
repeat as desired.

    % dig txt a_1.example.com.
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    a_1.example.com.        1D IN CNAME     b.example.com.
    b.example.com.          1D IN TXT       "this is txt"

So far, so good.

    % dig a_1.example.com.
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    a_1.example.com.        23h59m5s IN CNAME  b.example.com.
    b.example.com.          1D IN A         15.0.0.0

On the authoritative machine, I get the final answer (instead of a
failure) from the get-go.

Is it supposed to work that way? (I think not.)  Anybody got a quick fix
on where to move/add the ns_nameok call, or do I get to go digging.  (Having
a return depend on history is very not-good, since it tends to confuse
the unwary...)

lamont