8.2.2-REL dying

Richard Johnsson johnsson at hamilton.com
Thu Oct 28 06:24:39 UTC 1999

My 8.2.2-REL has died a twice in the last two days. No core file and no log
messages. By looking at what I could find in the log I have found the
repeatable circumstances, but have not looked at the code at all.

Environment: Solaris (sparc) 2.5.1; compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3 with
default options.

If I do an ndc reload when nothing has changed the server logs this

Oct 27 23:12:35 interval named[7468]: reloading nameserver
Oct 27 23:12:35 interval named[7468]: Forwarding source address is
[0.0.0.0].49\
582
Oct 27 23:12:35 interval named[7468]: Ready to answer queries.

and then disappears. If there's something new, even just touching a zone
file, it reloads the zone, sends NOTIFYs and does not die.

Richard

p.s. Just tried the same on SunOS 4.1.2 and Linux RH 6.0 and it works fine
there.