patches for t3b

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Fri Sep 10 20:17:36 UTC 1999

> the purpose of DESTDIR is for crosscompilation and kitting.  i set DESTROOT
> to /var/tmp/bindkit so that when i do "make install" it makes files like
> "/var/tmp/bindkit/usr/sbin/named".  then i make a relative tarball out of
> the /var/tmp/bindkit directory and i have a kit i can untar in /.  in the
> past i have also mounted another system's /usr via NFS on something like
> /othersys/usr on my compilation system, and set DESTDIR to /othersys, and
> then the "make install" actually creates files via NFS on a remote system's
> /usr.

Ah. This makes sense to me now, but wasn't what I thought when I configured
it to attempt to start "/sbin/named" ;( I read DESTDIR to be equivalent to
the autoconf-style "--prefix". Let me see if I was just tired, or maybe I
can suggest a documentation change.

BTW, "transfer-source" now being a global option made a lot of happy people
here last night. ;) Danke.

--
Joe Rhett                                         Chief Technology Officer
JRhett at ISite.Net                                      ISite Services, Inc.

PGP keys and contact information:          http://www.noc.isite.net/Staff/