"AccessWest.com": Re: win2k

Lee Flight lef at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 11:54:38 UTC 2000

This a.m. I tested the following BIND8.2.2P5 on Solaris7
with Netscape4.05 on NT4.0SP6a using the Solaris machine as
DNS server. I hit the DNS on the solaris box with some dynamic
updates from a Windows2000 server (using ipconfig/registerdns)
generating lots of "unapproved update from" messages out of BIND.
The netscape client carried on working fine. I then switched on
dynamic update on the zone in question set the Windows2000 server
off re-registering the records and checked out the netscape client
and it works fine. All the the dynamic records got planted (albeit
with the usual complaint about gc._msdcs A RRs) OK.

In these tests the relevant in-addr.arpa zone was also configured as
(first) standard and then with allow update. This had no noticeable impact
on the netscape client with the PTR update being denied or allowed as
expected.

All this was on a LAN as I don't have sufficient kit to test this on
dial-up.

Lee

(Windows2000 RDP site)
Lee Flight (lef at le.ac.uk)         Tel: +44 (0)116 252 2257
Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom