Change in res_nsearch behaviour?

Matthias Urlichs smurf at noris.net
Wed Jan 26 09:00:11 UTC 2000

Hi,

G Muthukumar:
> But what happens if the 'as is' query failed (for e.g.: NO SUCH HOST**).
> Because of the 'return' statement, the error too will be returned to the
> caller without doing the search (whereas it is expected to do the search
> in the current/parent domains).

Domain names with dots inside are supposed to be fully qualified, these days.

That's a feature.

As an example, you might want to send email to foo.com. You mistype and
use fooo.com. Your local domain, bar.com, has a wildcard MX. Your email
thus, effectively, gets delivered to "fooo.com.bar.com" instead of being
rejected immediately.

The search feature was a mistake, thus it's off by default. You can still
use the ndots option if you really need it.

That's my understanding. Corrections are of course welcome.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf at noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/